Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Let's Play Sonic Adventure (Side A)

at 1:00 PM
So, recently, I've been working on this thing. It's another coop LP with yourself Yourself, only Yourself isn't there.

I see a lot about design in 2D Sonic games (cough), but I haven't come across much on 3D Sonics. I guess that's to be expected, but I think Sonic Adventure deserves a look. Depending on your region, it came out in 1998 or 1999, but it feels like an early 3D platformer. Sonic Adventure fumbles about, seeing what 3D can do for the platforming genre; it just kinda strikes out at any idea that grabs its fancy.

Maybe this speaks to my lack of experience, but I get the feeling most 3D platformers from that era fit in one of two categories: either you have corridors, like Crash Bandicoot, or wide open plains, like Super Mario 64. Actually, I can't think of any other corridor platformers off the top of my head. What was Croc like, again?

[G]Regardless, Sonic Adventure straddles the two, breaking free from corridors without going all-out open-ended. This hardly makes Sonic Adventure unique, but it does make Sonic Adventure a game that I enjoy.

I'll let the videos speak for themselves. This week, I'll post the first half of the LP. [ed: click past the break for the rest of the videos]











You made it to the bottom of the post!

No comments:

Post a Comment